Recognized professionally for many years by other Alabama Attorneys for his work in insurance law and employee benefit disputes, Jeff S. Daniel has served as lead counsel in litigation and mediation of numerous individual cases involving business disputes and financial products.
He served as national Chair (2005) for the Insurance Law Section of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America /AAJ and served many years as an Officer of his attorney peers in that group (2001-2006). In 2012, 2013 and 2014, he was voted and recognized by Alabama attorneys in the attorney publication Alabama Super Lawyers for Insurance Law. In 2009, 2010 and 2011, he was voted by Birmingham attorneys as a Top Attorney in Birmingham Magazine for work with employee benefits law, known as ERISA.
Mr. Daniel received his Bachelor of Science in Corporate Finance and Investment Management from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in 1992. Following several years in banking and as an insurance auditor for a large regional bank holding company, Mr. Daniel received his J.D. from the Birmingham School of Law in 1998 while working full-time in a regional litigation law firm. In 2008, he was accepted and completed an Executive Education program at Harvard Business School in Boston, Massachusetts.
Areas of Practice
- FINRA securities arbitration awards, including the multimillion dollar 2008 award on behalf of owners of a closely-held oil and gas company against an investment bank.
- Multiple cases representing small business shareholders or LLC members in various fiduciary accounting disputes and Alabama derivative claims. Businesses represented have included industrial product vendors, alternative energy production, motion picture development and restaurant ventures.
- Lead counsel in more than two hundred tort cases relating to insurance servicing and sales practices.
- Expert witness for a Dow 30 company in a national class action relating to an arbitration provision.
- Multiple cases representing title insurance underwriters for indemnity and subrogation of insurance claims, including prosecution to recover E&O and CGL insurance claims.
- Co–counsel in nine-figure class action appeal and settlement relating to life insurance servicing practices.
- Lead counsel in oral argument before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals for National Bank Act preemption issues, and co-counsel in the subsequent case accepted by the United States Supreme Court.
- Multiple cases relating to ERISA employment benefits and scope of equitable remedies available to plan participants.
Cases of Interest & Appellate Work (click to view)